Neha Parool, Consultant at Advisian, answers two questions: what equality looks like to her and how we can Press for Progress.
What does equality really look like for you?
True equality means a society where both women and men have equal:
- Right to education
- Right to healthcare
- Access to privileges
- Freedom to make choices
- Job opportunities
- Representation in all sectors
- Responsibility of family
For me true equality means no stereotyping and no gender-based categorisation. Both should be treated as equals, as HUMAN.
What do you think we can all do to #PressForProgress for the future?
To promote progress for women, the major steps on a corporate level, could be:
- Company to affirm commitment to gender equality
- Create corporate awareness for promoting greater representation of women in all levels of the organisation
- Publish company policies and implementing a plan for gender equality
- Recruit/promote women to positions of responsibility
- Representation for women in all policy decisions
- Establish benchmarks and KPIs for managers to promote gender equality
- Promote flexible working hours
On a general level, as a part of society, we should:
- Advocate, promote and create equal opportunity for female education
- Change our stereotypical attitudes towards women
- Fairness in treatment of men and women considering their capacities, interests, historical and social disadvantages
- Create a healthy and safe society
- Ask the women at home and work to be bold, brave and unapologetic