A midstream operator wanted to develop a standard, modular compressor station design and incorporate best practices from a recent acquisition. The project team developed a new compressor station design vision focused on leveraging skid-mounted modular components, reducing project development and construction cycle time, improving facility build quality and consistency and reducing facility costs.
We analysed recent compressor station engineering and construction performance; identified lack of detailed procedures, tendency to over-engineer facilities and lack of clear scope definition prior to beginning design work. In the resulting follow-on project we implemented a new compressor station design vision based on: standard, modular facility designs; project development guides and training; scorecards, planning and review meetings; project cost management and control tools; project lifecycle process enhancements and training.
- Reduced compressor station facility capital overspend by 50%.
- Reduced compressor station facility construction cost by 10 to 15%.
- Reduced project development and construction cycle time by 10 to 20%.
Financial and Business Impact:
- Compressor station design team agreed on four primary designs, covering the range of facility sizes and operating conditions; ~200 design gaps between the designs of the two companies were addressed
- Developed comprehensive modular design architecture, including cost-optimised design and equipment standards
- Developed integrated commercial offering for both, modular and design build options integrated supply chain, construction and operational planning with routine performance feedback; modular components and fabrication procurement plan
- Reduced late stage changes to design packages, utilising prior validated modular system design reviews
- Implemented a supply chain forecasting and inventory management process to enable pre-ordering of long lead time compressor station modules
- Implemented improved project cost management and controls including estimating, p6 scheduling processes, WBS and CBS, project cost and cycle time tracking and reporting throughout the project development and execution process