The challenge: Define and install an effective site organizational architecture incorporating clarified roles and responsibilities and aligned business goals.
- Take the organization from unclear and overlapping roles and responsibilities to defined roles and responsibilities for each position in alignment with key processes and measures
- Take the excess management layer with narrow and inconsistent spans of control to a four-layer of management and increased spans of control
- Take functional silos operating independently to an architecture designed to support integration between site functions
- Take incomplete culture of accountability and ownership and achieve full clarity of individual accountabilities and defined measures of success reviewed regularly.
- Take inconsistent front-line leadership roles operating in different capacities across the site to clearly defined and supported front-line leadership roles given the authority & accountability for safety and performance of their teams.
Over 24 weeks, developed clear strategic direction and organizational goals required to define success, and established clear definition and agreement of people selection process, criteria and timing:
- Conducted a Mission and Vision Workshop to define the strategic direction
- Created an organization design developed in accordance with strategic goals
- Developed accountability for key measures defined and aligned with organizational authority so that roles and responsibilities are developed in alignment with the Execution Control System (ECSSM )
- Established a people selection process to select individuals into clear roles Implementation activities to completely communicate new roles and define/address training gaps by position to employees are operating in new roles according to redesigned processes and management systems
- Conducted front-line leadership and active supervision workshops so that all FLLs are executing against a common definition of leadership and clear expectations