Helping a major gas transmission project deliver a significant pipeline expansion project on time and within budget.
In 2012 Epic Energy completed a significant expansion of its Southwest Queensland Pipeline (SWQP), known as the QSN3 Expansion Project. This involved expanding a 937-kilometre duplicated 450mm pipeline from Wallumbilla in South East Queensland to Moomba in South Australia to provide connections between gas producers in the Bowen and Surat Basins and customers in Mount Isa and south eastern Australia.
The pipeline is configured to receive gas at Wallumbilla from a number of different gas fields in South East Queensland and to deliver that gas into pipelines to supply Gladstone and Brisbane, or to flow that gas in a westerly direction to Ballera or Moomba.
The SWQP also delivers gas to various locations along the pipeline including supply to the Roma and Barcaldine power stations.
Advisian was engaged by Epic Energy as its Independent Engineer on the QSN3 Expansion Project.
The role involved acting as the lead advisor for the transaction and senior finance parties. It involved providing assurances regarding the progress and cost to complete, as well as verifying that the risk profile was managed within the agreed parameters.
Based on specific project needs and objectives, we implemented a structured approach to reviewing and analysing the project including:
- Reviewing the project team’s monthly report
- Meeting with the Project Director and key team members monthly to review progress and key issues
- Analysing all project material
- Preparing monthly reports to the finance parties outlining progress and providing recommendations
- Periodic site visit and progress review
We helped Epic Energy deliver their pipeline expansion project by providing independent and accurate advice on:
- Actual progress against forecast
- Financial and commercial progress
- Any overlooked issues or risks
- Recommendations on areas for improvement and key focus areas.
This advice allowed Epic Energy to make informed decisions on how to advance and direct the project, resulting in the project being completed on time and well within budget.